Translate

Saturday 13 July 2013

Meeting the "Undying Flame"

















'I look different from the others,
but my mind is same with everyone' said Pong.



















I've read stories and watched films about this amazing woman-Pong Seow Chin before the visit.  I was a bit nervous when Salman (photographer) and I arrived at the Ipoh train station in the morning,  Pong's brother, Danny, picked us up.  'Hello!!' saying in an energetic tone, Pong welcomed us with a big smile. Although we are strangers to Pong's family, everyone treated us with hospitality.


Unlike what I expected from a disabled person, Pong is actually very optimistic and humorous. She talked a lot about the days after the accident. After the accident, she hoped for encouragement and care from her family, but her husband just left her with out a warning. I could not imagine the sorrow which had followed her these years, and how brave  she has been facing all the difficulties by herself. 'Hating a person is too hard for me,so I just let the bad feelings go. It's okay that he has another family now, and I wish he is happy' Pong replied  when I asked about the husband. 




Her favorite hobby- sewing tissue box towels
She then told us about her typical day. Pong can only be asleep for 1~2 hours at night, but she cant take any sleeping pills due to her health condition. Therefore, she goes to bed around 11 p.m. and lies on the bed, waiting to get into dreams. She used to make some paper shoes, but her doctor told her to stop, because because breathing theglue's toxic vapors can damage her kidneys. She only makes tissue box towels now, and when she gets tired of 
doing that, she starts to make meals for the family. 





Pong takes some rest between the interval. I was curious about how she take rest on the trolley, so she showed us the little table which she always lies on. 'I put my hands on the table and just lie on it. Sometimes I just watch the scenery outside from my house. I also call that a rest!' she said and winked her eyes. 



We left before sunset to give Pong some time to rest. After today's short visit, I was more impressed by this strong and special woman. From the bottom of my heart, I respect Pong, and I really hope things around her get better and better in the future. 
 


By Claire Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment